Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Making plans

My days as a"blogger" may soon becoming to an end. We still do not have an ETD (estimated time of departure) or ETA (estimated time of arrival) but it is getting closer. Many people have been writing about bringing meals to the house for Donna & Louie and that is a wonderful idea. I don't think they have a deep freezer so they may need small amounts over a period of time. It would be great if someone could take this ball and run with it - set up a calendar, etc. Any one want to volunteer? ('cause I sure can't do it from here :) ! ! )

A few notes to keep in mind as you plan for her arrival -
She has lost a lot of weight and will definitely need/want to eat but she may be on a special diet (for a little while) once she gets home.
She has some aphasia and that makes communication more difficult.
She tires very easily, and continues to need lots of rest.
She has missed all of you terribly.

She is anxiously awaiting the time she can finally get home and see everyone but realizes that she has "been through the mill" and needs to take baby steps before she starts running again.
Probably most people know that for 5 weeks before Donna came to Memphis she was having severe back pain, so she came here sick. Then she went in the hospital on January 19 where she has remained for the majority of the time ever since. Needless to say, this has been a very long illness, literally months. Keep in mind that each time she sees someone new, her illness is the subject of conversation and she relives the whole awful experience all over again. It is emotional and exhausting for her. It would be great if someone could coordinate visits for her too, so she doesn't get overwhelmed by a lot of people all at once. Visits and meals spaced out over a few weeks would be perfect !

I wish we could say that we were sending Donna home in tip-top shape but that's not going to be the case. Certainly you all understand that once she returns she will have even more recuperating to do until she is back to her old self. Donna's family may be far away but we are happily passing the torch to her friends extended family members. You have all earned our respect and love as you have been so supportive and so ready to come to her aid. If we haven't said it enough- thank-you, thank-you, thank-you !

As quickly as we have more information we will be sure to share it with everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Darlene. You can assure that I would be willing and most anxious to take on the roll of coordinating meals for Donna and Louie. Louie is easy...he likes beer, wine and gin and tonic. Donna will be a little bit harder but very doable. You can let them know that I will be happy to do this. I am not sure I can contain the visiting though as so many want to hug her and see her...but we will all try to be good for Donna's sake. As soon as we know their for sure date and arrival time I will start the process by e-mail and calls. Thank you and your family for taking such good care of Donna and Louie as we love them so much too!. Deana Coburn

    P.S. can you let me know what her diet is when is is confirmed...it would be nice to know as soon as possible so that I can start making arrangements. You can e-mail me directy at dcrun5k@yahoo.com Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlene and Donna, This appears to be news we have been waiting for. Some of us saw how sick Donna was becoming before she left. I am just grateful that she has been given the strength to make each milestone along the way even though the pathway was not straight or always forward.

    We know she has been changed by this series of challenges. We will take on the gift of helping her continue the progress you have all helped her meet through your support. We are overjoyed that it looks like she will find her way back to California soon-"right back where she started from!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a joy to be included in this ongoing saga with Donna's life. For a while it was so touch and go. I'm thankful she's now being restored to her home, her family and her friends. May God continue the healing process as she returns and gets back into her familiar setting. Love, Mary E.(So. Cal.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darlene,
    I will be glad to take on the visitor issue. I'll guard the door like a bulldog, personally, if I have to. I don't live far away so it's an easy project for me. I'll coordinate with Deana about meals - we have worked together before, I think we can do it again! If anyone has ideas on how to make this all work - let me know. My first thought is to post a sign at the door, even if someone is scheduled to visit - "Do Not Disturb!" means your visit will have to wait. Any other ideas? Let me know. My email is bnava@prodigy.net I will be happy to finally get to do something constructive to help!
    For now, let's get that girl out of the hospital and home safely!
    According to Deana's offer, it should be interesting to watch Louie take care of Donna while she's eating her healthy meals when he's snockered!
    Thank you once again "Saint Darlene" for your selflessness and care for our dear friend!
    Love to all my new family in Memphis,
    Beckie Nava

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Darlene,
    Can't wait to get that girl home and taken care of on the West Coast! You have done a wonderful job in Memphis and you can be assured that Donna and Louie are loved here in California and will be well taken care of. After she leaves Joseph and you need to take a vacation.
    Well we all have our talents and are helping out where we can. I would like to fill in with meals as I love to cook and find joy in feeding people I care about. So the first meal at home is on me! Is that okay Deana, the "meal planner"? I will be sure to call Beckie, the "door keeper," before visiting!
    ;-)
    Just make sure she is coming home healthy! The doctors there know her well and have done miracles with her. We don't want anymore trips to the hospital when she gets to Visalia...just follow-up visits.
    Take care and talk to you soon.
    love ya, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do we know if anyone is coordinating meals, etc., in Visalia? I have emailed Louie and am certainly willing to help in any way I can. Please let me know.....and thank you for keeping us all posted, Darlene!

    ReplyDelete